Run for Office
What is a candidate?
A candidate is defined in 97.051(5), Florida Statute, as any person to whom any one or more of the following applies:
- Any person who seeks to qualify for nomination or election by means of the petitioning process;
- Any person who seeks to qualify for election as a write-in candidate;
- Any person who receives contributions or makes expenditures or gives his or her consent for any other person to receive contributions or make expenditures with a view to bringing about his or her nomination or election to, or retention in, public office;
- Any person who appoints a treasurer and designates a primary depository;
- Any person who files qualification papers and subscribes to a candidate’s oath as required by law.
- However, this definition does not include any candidates for a political party executive committee.